If you are leaving the district and would like to migrate files to a personal Gmail account, the following information will help you through this process. Full support is available at
What you can copy
You can copy and transfer these kinds of files from your school account to another Google Account:
- Email in Gmail (not contacts, chats, or tasks)
- Documents that you own in Google Drive (except files in the "Google Photos" section of Drive)
- Documents in My Drive
The original files stay in your school account. Any changes you make to the copied files don't affect the originals.
My Drive files that aren't copied
A file in My Drive won't be copied if either of the following are true:
- You're a viewer, not an editor or owner
- The owner has turned off download, print, and copy options for commenters and viewers
When the copy process is done, you'll be notified by email about any files in My Drive that weren't copied.
Copy & transfer your files
Each time you copy files from your school account, a new set of copies is created in your Google Account.
Create an account
If you haven't already, create a Google Account. Your new email address will be your firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepare your files
To copy content that other people have shared with you, add those files to My Drive.
Start the copy process
- On your school account, go to Transfer your content.
- Enter the email address of the Google Account where you want to copy your content.
- Select Get code.
- On your Google Account, check your Gmail inbox for a confirmation email from Google. In the email, select Get confirmation code. A new tab will open with a code.
- On your school account, go back to the "Transfer your content" page. Enter the code, then choose Verify.
- Choose the content you'd like to copy, then select Start transfer.
Details about the copy process
- The copy process usually happens within a few hours, but it can take up to a week.
- Copied files might appear in batches on your Google Account during the copy process.
- When your files are finished copying, you'll get an email at your Gmail address.