Details of the compose window
- Recipients: Click this text field to type email addresses. You can also click the Cc or Bcc links to add a new set of recipients. Drag and drop recipients from one field to another, or click the "x" to remove them from your message. Hover over the recipient to see details about them, or double-click on them to edit their address.
- Text formatting: Click this icon to add formatting like font size, bold, underline, and bullets. Or, use our new formatting keyboard shortcuts. Hover over each button to learn the keyboard shortcut you can use for that option. Alignment and indentation options are now collapsed under the alignment icon.
- Attachments: Click the Attachment icon to attach files to your message.
- Discard: Click the trash can icon to delete your draft.
- More options: Click this menu to see other tools such as spell check, plain text format, print, adding labels, and including original attachments.
- Window size: To compose in a full-screen window, click expand in the upper right corner of the compose window. To use full-screen by default, click More options and choose Default to full-screen. To pop out the compose window, hold the Shift key while clicking expand in the upper right corner of the compose window.
- Saving: Gmail automatically saves your drafts while you’re writing, so we've removed the "Save now" button (but you can verify that it’s saved if you see the word, "Saved" next to the Discard button). Your draft will also be automatically saved when you close the compose window.
Replying or Forwarding tips:
- Recipients: To change who your message should be sent to, click into the recipient field when you’re replying.
- Type of response: Click the arrow next to the recipient’s name to choose whether your message is a reply, reply all, or forward.
- Subject: To change the subject of your message, click the arrow next to the recipient’s name and click Edit subject.
- Pop out reply: To write your reply in a compose window, click the arrow next to the recipient’s name and click Pop out reply .
- Respond inline: If you want to see the previous message within your reply, scroll down until you see the "Show trimmed content" icon and click it.